22-year-old Nepalese woman allegedly gang-raped in New Delhi


16 May 2019: A 22-year-old Nepalese woman was allegedly gang-raped by four men in Dwarka area of New Delhi, a number of Indian media outlets have reported.

The woman, also described as being 24 years of age by some media, was on her way to Mumbai to meet her brother when she suffered the alleged terrible ordeal last weekend.

According to reports, the Kathmandu woman had reached New Delhi by bus and was supposed to take the train to Mumbai. However, she missed the train due to her delayed arrival at the station and was therefore asking around to figure out her options. In the meantime, one of the accused approached the woman offering help.

The men reportedly told her that it was unsafe to be there at the platform. They took her to Dwarka area of New Delhi where one of the accused allegedly raped her and then invited his friends to engage in the alleged crime.

It is understood the alleged victim happened to call her brother in Mumbai before the crime was committed. What is more, the victim’s brother actually talked to one of the accused over telephone and as a result, he had his phone number as well as his name which has since been passed on to Mumbai Police.

The accused men took the victim to the train station following the gang-rape and put her on a Mumbai-bound train. Once she was with her brother in Mumbai, the woman recounted her ordeal to him. According to media reports, the brother went to a local police station in Mumbai to lodge a complaint last Monday.

United News Agency has reported that Oshiwara Police Station in Mumbai transferred the complaint lodged by the Nepalese woman to Delhi Police on last Wednesday.

The complaint was apparently transferred as “Zero FIR” which the Agency said allows the victim to lodge complaint at any police station irrespective of the jurisdiction, where the crime occurred.

In 2012, a 23-year-old physiotherapy intern was beaten, gang-raped and tortured in a private bus which she was travelling in with a friend. Half a dozen men, including the driver, took turns to rape the young woman and beat her male friend. Eleven days after the assault, she was transferred to a hospital in Singapore for emergency treatment but succumbed to her injuries two days later. The case, subsequently known as the Nirbhaya case, generated immense condemnation and protest across India. Four convicted in the case were later given the death sentence.

Add Comment