Nepalese student was so close to mom that he voice-chatted with her “12 hours” a day

6 April 2019: A family member of the Nepalese student who lost his life in a horrific road accident on March 28 has revealed that the friendly 18-year-old was so close to his mother that he voice-chatted with her up to “10 hours” a day.

The motor accident victim, Aryan Acharya, had arrived in Australia last December and was unemployed until recently. Luckily, he had a caring family in Sydney who supported him through his early days.

He started working only recently. It is understood he had not even received his first salary when he lost his life in the single-vehicle crash ten days ago. Mr Acharya, who was in the front passenger seat, died at the scene while his fellow Nepalese friend, Balaram Parajuli, passed away in Canberra Hospital on April 2.

Aryan Acharya
(Left to right) Chetan Dhakal with Aryan Acharya, Kabita Dhakal and Aryan’s another sister Samjhana Acharyan in recent happier times I Photo: Supplied

According to his brother-in-law, Chetan Dhakal, the motor accident victim spent nearly $150 on his Dodo mobile phone in his first month in Australia, after having arrived in the country on December 17. It was then that he resorted to Facebook Messenger’s free voice call service to talk to his beloved mother.

Mr Dhakal and his wife shared a three-room house in Seven Hills with the deceased information technology student. He told that Aryan Acharya would call his mother every evening after he arrived home from work or college.

But that was not enough to assure his mother that her young son was safe at home with his sister and brother-in-law. Hence, she would ask him to switch the video mode on so that she could see him safe at home.

Mr Acharya was so disciplined that he would call the host family if he was running late on any given evening. However, on that fateful night of March 28, he failed to do so. Now, Mr Dhakal knows that he went to Strathfield and then his friends offered to take him along for an impromptu road trip to Melbourne – which eventually cost him his life.

Mr Dhakal now regrets that he did not know Mr Acharya’s plan that night. “Otherwise I would have stopped him,” he rued. Given his good nature, he would probably have listened to his brother-in-law’s advice.

The deceased student was apparently seating in the backseat only a short time prior to the accident on the Hume Highway at Mullengandra, near Albury, Mr Dhakal said citing a source. That’s how he fatally got hit after the car he was travelling in hit a tree as the driver frantically tried to avoid hitting a truck.

According to Mr Dhakal, the heartbroken mother is now struggling to come to terms with the loss of her son. “Aryan had very strong relationship with his mom,” he said, “Mom is not okay. Dad looks like okay.”
Community hastily raises thousands of dollars to repatriate remains 

In the meantime, the close-knit diaspora community is hastily putting together the required funds to repatriate the remains of the student. According to patron of Jhapali Samaj Australia, Dipak Khanal, $4,600 has already been collected in less than a week.

The Non-Nepali Resident Association (NRNA) Australia is understood to be considering a contribution of $2000 but a formal decision to that effect is yet to be made, said spokesperson Dila Kharel.

Add Comment