14 August 2017: An international student from Nepal has reportedly been left penniless and visaless after two private colleges he was enrolled with closed one after another.
Drishya Katwal arrived in New Zealand early 2016 to pursue a business diploma course at Auckland-based International Academy of New Zealand (IANZ). However, “within weeks of his arrival”, the private college went into liquidation, a New Zealand media outlet reported yesterday.
The 35-year-old then transferred to another college in Auckland, Linguis International Institute, but it too was shut down due to high plagiarism rates just two months after his enrollment, reported stuff.co.nz on Saturday. The website further reported that Mr Katwal has since been living off donations from his family and friends as he has been left without an income; he cannot legally work.
According to the report, Mr Katwal holds the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) responsible for failing to protect international students like himself.
“They [NZQA] need to manage all these things before, not after, they shut the college. It’s just rubbish,” Mr Katwal was reported as saying.
However, NZQA deputy chief executive Grant Klinkum said it was up to the concerned students to be careful about how they choose their colleges, “We appreciate the circumstances have been uncertain for this student but we can only encourage students to think carefully about their enrolment options.”
According to Stuff, three of recently deregistered organisations were international schools whose closures have affected more than 700 foreign students studying in New Zealand. NZQA has initiated interventions against 29 of 509 non-university providers since May last year, the report further said.